Images above of Madeline & Tyler by Wishful Thinking Photography and family picture by MBergincphotography.



Thursday, September 23, 2010

I Can Do Hard Things...

Wow, almost 3 weeks into school and things are going well.  I am still working on first day of school pics that I need to post! I had to share this though while the thoughts are fresh in my mind...

Mid-High (our school here for just 8th and 9th) has been going good for Tyler so far.  A few bumps in the road but he seems to be adjusting fine to the new school and environment, and enjoys his teachers.  It sure starts early though - 7:20 AM!  I'm so grateful Jeff can drive him across town to the school on his way to work at 6:50! 

(at the start)

He's taking cross country and this is a first for him, after doing track and field last spring.  We told him he needed to pick a sport or some physical activity for fall and since he's not doing football or soccer anymore, we gently suggested cross country.  He said, sure, since all of his friends were doing it.  Well after running 2 miles straight the first 2 days of practice, he said he was quitting.  It was rough, not being conditioned to do that, but we "gently" (you can't push too hard at this age!), encouraged him to stick it out longer! 


Well, 2 weeks into it and the first meet under his belt, he's still going strong.

The meet was held at Jennings Park which has gorgeous trails all over, but the hills on their running route were killers.


Here's his good friend, Tanner, just look at the determination on his face, pushing himself.  He's been a good friend for Tyler.

On the last hill of the route, (which you can see here is just gorgeous!), we watched all the runners make their way up and listened to the coaches giving encouragement - "Come on, you can make it, you're almost there!".  We waited, and watched, (and prayed) for Tyler until we saw him come around the corner. 

At this point, I had tears in my eyes, covered up by the camera... (I know for anyone who is a runner, this probably isn't a big deal, but for me to see him do this, it is!)  I couldn't do it, run almost 2 miles, up and down hills consistently like this.  Jeff used to run all the time when we were first married, so this is good for he and Tyler as well, to get out and run together. 

When you see something like this as a mother, your heart swells up so big with pride for your kid as they accomplish something they've never done before.  Hopefully he'll always remember as he goes through life, "I CAN do hard things..."

(Last push to the finish line.)
(I know, all the pics are a bit blurry, but I couldn't snap them fast enough as he was coming up the hill!  Just matters to me that I got them :)

You did it!! It's gotta feel so good and you make your family proud!

(Good sport. He's barely tolerating this picture -- more of a "come on mom, put down the camera so I can go home and rest!")

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow! That is sooo impressive! It's hard enough to walk up a few of those hills. I can't even imagine running 2 miles up and down all that. The pictures are great! I didn't even notice the blurs. All I saw was a Mom who's extremely proud of her son.

Melissa said...

Wow, lots of tears in my eyes too. GOSH Tyler, I'm SO proud of you. You are amazing to be able to do this! Heidi, I'm so glad you were able to capture this moment. He will love them the rest of his life and he'll remember your tears and how much you and Jeff are proud of him!! I personally think all the Neslen girls (except mom) aren't great runners...am I right? LOVE YOU and miss you TONS!!

gina said...

Tyler, you are so strong. Good job on sticking with it despite it being difficult. A lesson all of us need. I admire you very much. Running there looks so beautiful. Nice to have scenic routes to make things a little bit easier.

Great, GREAT pictures Heidi! 2nd best to being there. So much feeling and emotion is captured through your photographs. Tyler may hate standing for pictures now but someday will (or should be) very grateful. I wish I had a few more pictures from my teen years & activities - especially beautifully photographed ones like these.

jeannie said...

Way to go Tyler!! That's awesome!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin